Thursday, May 7, 2015

Green Chile Sauce

Not so photogenic but high on flavor!


Green Chile Sauce

Roasted chiles- Poblano or hatch. Roasted, skinned, stemmed, seeded and chopped. -I use Poblanos from my local Farmer's Market
5-6 garlic cloves. Chopped
2 Tomatoes. Seeded. Chopped
3 c. chicken or veg. broth. Preferably homemade- yes, there's a serious difference!
Sea salt & ground black pepper
Dash of balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar or canned jalapeno juice. -I way prefer the jalapeno juice from my canned jalapenos!!!
Arrowroot powder or flour for thickness if needed. -I haven't used it in my batches lately. 
1 Tbsp. sugar or sweetener to tame the heat if too spicy for your taste. 

Combine chiles, garlic, tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper and vinegar. 

Bring up to a slight boil and then reduce heat to a gentle simmer or 10 minutes. 

Add thickener if desired and cook another 10 minutes. 

20 minutes total cooking time. 

If to spicy, add the sugar and cook a bit longer to dissolve. 

Let cool. Smooth it out in the blender, food processor or with an immersion blender. 

This recipe freezes well. I pour this into 2 c. freezer containers and store for a maximum of six months. 

Pop frozen container into a saucepan and heat on medium until thawed. This goes pretty quickly. Sometimes I add a bit of sour cream for an enchilada/ smothered burrito sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment